Friday, August 8, 2008

The Theme of My Life??

So yesterday I drove up to Maine because the summer camp I worked at for 7 summers of my life celebrated it's 50th year with a camp reunion.  I was excited to see people and walk around my old home away from home.  This was probably equally as life changing as ENC--in some ways even more so.  I'm not going to lie...and this is going to make me wicked cheesy but...when I drove into the town where it's located I started to cry a little.  Lame I know!  When I finally got to the camp I shut the car off and just took some deep breaths to calm my racing heart.  I felt like I had come home.  

The reunion was great, I walked all around camp remembering funny and sad things, talked to campers and wondered how I could have given that much energy all the time for 8 weeks every year, saw some ENCers who were working and caught up with old friends.  Everyone was married, most had kids and their first question for me was, "So are you seeing anyone?"  They all wondered why I wasn't married with children.  I'm the same age as all of them but apparently way behind the curve.  So I've been thinking about singles and marrieds for a few days now and here I am face to face with it.  I have been very fortunate to be blessed with married friends who know me and love me and I never feel judged or weird.  But when I run in to people I haven't seen in years it's almost uncomfortable to talk about my singleness.  Is it too late to rent a date for my college reunion?  Like in the Wedding Date?  Where does one even look for that??

1 comment:

*Austin Mommy* said...

Oh, Melissa. I'm sorry that this is something that you're struggling with. I suppose everyone struggles with something - I know I have mine! Don't tell my kids this ever, but Jon and I have said more than once that we really wish we'd waited to have kids. There's so much that we could have done without kids that we just can't do now - like go out and have fun! :) I say, embrace your singleness and make the absolute most of it. Travel to other countries, go out EVERY night of the week, flirt, flirt, flirt, date, date, date, and have fun every second of it! (I know some of that costs money, but you'll probably only be single for so long.) You are a beautiful, fabulous, fun, funny, faithful, and amazing person. Enjoy being that just cause that's what you are! I love you! I miss you! :)